Site Menu > About
This conference will bring together Tamil Studies scholars, artists, writers and activists from North America, Central America, Europe, South Asia, and Australasia. Over 30 presenters from disciplines and fields ranging from Anthropology, Archaeology, Art History, Dance, Diaspora Studies, English, History, Journalism, Labour Rights, Literature, Music, Religion, Sociology, Theatre Studies, Visual Arts and Women's Studies will present papers.
The annual conferences have the following goals:
- To stimulate the development of Toronto as an important centre for Tamil Studies in North America.
- To strengthen the engagement of the Toronto Tamil community with both the University of Toronto and the academy of Tamil Studies scholars in North America.
- To provide North American scholars with a regular opportunity to present their work before their academic colleagues and informed members of the Tamil community.
- To introduce students in Toronto to the diverse disciplines of Tamil Studies and the scholars pursuing them in North America.
- To enable scholars working on Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka to engage with each other's work and to develop a more comparative approach to the study of these Tamil regions.
- To make the Tamil diaspora an important subject of academic study and engagement.
- To publish selected conference papers.